BY AASTHA NIRMAL
Any problem could be solved when we know the cause of it. First things first, what are love handles? The pinchable fat accumulated on the sides of our lower stomach is called love handles. It creates a “muffin top” when we wear tight bottoms.
Why does it happen? It is because of the way we are built. It is a genetic and ethnic propensity to put on fat in this area. This propensity gets exaggerated in some people giving them a “saddlebag deformity”. Other reasons could be lack of exercise, lack of sleep, alcohol, cortisol, improper diet and sometimes, your age.
If you are someone who wants to get rid of love handles, today is your lucky day. I am going to share the 5 most effective exercises that will take away those annoying curves no one asked for!
The Bicycle crunch is an exercise that works well with the core. The best part is you don’t need any equipment to do it.
How to do it the RIGHT WAY-
- Lay on your back, bring both knees up at a 90 degree angle.
- Once you are in the correct position, make sure to pull the abdominal muscles in.
- Think of your abdominal muscles as a waist belt. Imagine tightening it.
- Bring your head up a little. Keep your hands at the back of your head. Start pedalling. One leg comes in, the other one extends out.
- Rotate your body in a way that your elbow almost touches the opposite knee.
It is a core stabilizing exercise. Russian Twist has different progressions. Here’s how you do it.
- Sit up and flex your knees at about 45 degrees.
- Lean back ever so slightly. Put your arms out and move them from the left end to the right end.
- Once you are comfortable, you can hold weight in your hands.
The goal of a side plank is to work on the work but also the sides. To hold a successful side plank, you have to make sure you are doing it in the right formation.
- The right position is when you make a solid base from your feet and your hand.
- Hold your hips at the centre. Not too low, not too high. Proper alignment is the key to this exercise.
- This exercise works on the obliques. It hits the right spot if done appropriately. Hold the pose till you feel the burn.
This exercise targets the side fat also the inner and upper thigh. It involves your core muscles.
- Lay on your side. Fold your knee and take support of your elbow.
- Once you are in the right position, Stretch the other leg and lift it.
- While going down make sure your leg is not touching the floor.
- Repeat on the other side.
Seems easy peasy right ? Wait until you try them out in rotation !
While these are great exercises to try out, it doesn’t mean you should. Accepting your body is always the most important type of self love. Plus, we have all heard the saying, ” It’s always nice to have something to hold”. So hold on to your love handles, if that is what defines you. These exercises can also be used to tone your muscles, so it’s a win- win situation.